Goofs and Gadflies

Monday, May 30, 2005

Signs



If there is one notion to cling to, and only one, it is that life is precious. "Don't Panic" comes a close second. (tm Douglas Adams) While it's true that Life is Beautiful (tm Benigni)Holding forth the primacy that life is precious instills a greater sense of personal responsibility to look both ways before crossing the street.

The feet move quickly, with purpose, almost possessed by the quickening pace they have undertaken. The air passes swiftly around the legs as they press forward, lunging and stabbing at the concrete below. The light spring air provides little resistance and allows for a quick egress. The sunglasses provide respite from the bright sun, and hides blurry eyes from perfect strangers. The feet are flying now, passing strolling couples and gauntly sloped seniors. But to where? Destination unknown. This is a walking away from and not a walking towards. There is no rainbow of knowledge at the end of the day. There is only sweat and a beating heart. A heart that beats only to let you know that its still alive. It is not like the winter, where the act of walking is almost in rebellion to the elements. These days were made for brisk walks and it is obviously so by the number of people out there tonight. When I walk in the winter, I walk alone. The whistling of the wind and snow my only companion. I walk for knowledge (a weapon in the fight against fear). Now when I walk, all I see is hope, and hope springs eternal. I cannot deny the nature of change. The water of time that washes away the stings of living. I could take solace in a glass of Jack and Coke (tm Esther) But I have always been more of a merlot fan (especially Pomerol).

The seasons change and yet the song remains the same. I have to stay true to the notion that everything I endure will make me a stronger person. Who needs contentment when you can have adventure? I have to regain my composure and remind myself that my struggles are of relative inconsequence to the rest of the world. I do not have the ability to launch nuclear weapons, corrupt the local water supply, or eat ice cream without getting a brain freeze. If I have a momentary lapse of purpose, life goes on and we all have cake.

I've never understood why people say "I need to change" when we are all in a perpetual state of growth. Is growth not change? I think that all things work out over time. The trick is, they just might not work out in your favour. The best part about experience is that it provides a solution set for the future. The mind is a library of knowledge and every day I am writing the books of my life. It's time to go back into my own private library and check out a few oldie-but-goodies.

So here I sit, crouched with my hands over my head, waiting for the bombs to stop falling. I smile privately, because I know they will. I will survive, and flourish. I know this because I always look both ways before crossing the street.

And love
Is not the easy thing
The only baggage
That you can bring
Not the easy thing
The only baggage you can bring
Is all that you can't leave behind
(...)
And I know it aches
How your heart it breaks
You can only take so much


Walk on
Walk on

-U2 "Walk On"

3 Comments:

  • Oh, I know. This statue, and the way you describe what you're feeling, is what the last 24 hours (or lifetime) has been like for me. Only I do not have cake. Although I should look into getting some.

    Thanks for tm'ing me in the company of Adams and Benigni. I'm honored, truly.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:36 PM  

  • One of my favorite authors, Caroline Myss, hypothesizes that we slow the process of becomming conscious because we fear the speed at which our lives would change.

    Great post, Ryan :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:45 PM  

  • There is much movement in the act of standing still. I see your merlot and raise you a rioja™.

    xo!

    By Blogger Comrade Chicken, At 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home